State of Alaska
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Local Government Specialist II, III (PCN 21-6057)
at State of Alaska
- Job Description
- This recruitment is open to Alaska residents only.
The recruitment period for this vacancy has been extended to allow for a larger applicant pool. If you have already applied there is no need to reapply.
The Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development
Division of Community and Regional Affairs
is pleased to announce the recruitment for a Local Government Specialist II/III Flex position in Kotzebue.Do you want to make important and lasting contributions to local governments in Alaska?
Do you want to travel to rural Alaska communities to provide on-site training and assistance regarding local governance?
Are you interested in investigating local government issues and providing findings and written briefings on significant events?
Are you interested in presenting class room training on management issues?
If you answered yes to these questions, please apply for the position of Local Government Specialist (LGS) in Kotzebue!
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Prepare written management assessments of rural Alaska communities;
- Provide on-site technical assistance and training of all aspects to administer public services in rural communities;
- Establish and maintain working relationships with rural Alaska communities;
- Work as a team member to develop and write technical publications and training materials;
- Present classroom training on utility management and local government issues;
- Assist communities with local fuel supply issues;
- Communicate information about policies, procedures, statutes (AS 4, 10, 15, 29, 42 and 44) and regulations to general public and co-workers in person, over the phone and in writing; and
- Provide training and analysis of budgets, certified financial statements, rate studies and monthly finance reports.
The Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development
- Working knowledge of administrative structures, functions and responsibilities of the various levels of governmental jurisdiction;
- Proficiency with Quicken, QuickBooks or other computerized accounting systems with emphasis on governmental accounting;
- Two (2) or more experiences conducting training or teaching technical subjects to adults in a rural setting;
- Detailed experiences providing on-site technical assistance to entities in rural Alaska communities; and
- Ideal applicant will have knowledge of current issues and concerns of rural communities and traveled to or lived in rural Alaska.
Our mission: Promote a healthy economy, strong communities and protect consumers in Alaska.
More information about our department may be found on our website at http://commerce.alaska.gov
- Minimum Qualifications
Local Government Specialist II:
Three years of any combination of post-secondary education course work (3 semester or 4 quarter hours equal one month) and/or work experience such as legal or paralegal services, financial services, social services, assisting in grant development, drafting or writing statutes or regulations, planning or other similar office experience or program support.
One year of work experience as a Local Government Specialist I with the State of Alaska or the equivalent elsewhere.
Local Government Specialist III:
Four years of any combination of post-secondary education course work (3 semester or 4 quarter hours equal one month) and/or technical work experience such as legal or paralegal services, financial services, social services, assisting in grant development, drafting or writing statutes or regulations, planning or other similar functions in support of cities, boroughs, tribal governments, non-profits and/or other entities that provide or support community services.
One year of work experience as a Local Government Specialist II with the State of Alaska or the equivalent elsewhere.
- Additional Required Information
Local Government Specialist II Level: $ 6362.00
Local Government Specialist III Level: $ 7318.00
This position is flexibly staffed. It may be filled at the Local Government Specialist II or Local Government Specialist III level, depending on the applicant's training and/or experience and the needs of the agency. The full range of salaries is listed above. Starting salary will be determined by the level at which the position is hired. If filled at a lower level, promotion to the higher level will occur upon successful completion of the probationary period and required training, as well as the applicant meeting the minimum qualifications of the higher job class.
Please note: Per 2 AAC 07.061, you will only be considered for the position(s) you apply for. If you would like to be considered for all levels of this position, please ensure you apply for all levels by checking all of the levels in the required supplemental question section of this recruitment. Please note you must meet the minimum qualifications for the level(s) you apply for.
Please attach a separate, professional cover letter to your application before submitting it online or, if unable to attach to your application, fax it to the contact number provided in the job posting.
Your cover letter should:
- Be professionally written and include proper format, grammar, spelling and punctuation;
- Provide a detailed explanation of how you meet the minimum qualifications listed in the job announcement. Please describe your education and/or work experience as it relates to the minimum qualifications of this position; and
- Describe your knowledge, skills and abilities as they pertain to the Key Responsibilities and the knowledge, skills, abilities and experience bulleted in the job description above. Give specific examples to demonstrate your experience.
Your professional cover letter will also be used as a writing sample.
Applicant Profiles and Job Qualification Summaries will be reviewed to determine if the minimum qualifications are clearly met. If they are not clearly supported, you will not advance to the interview phase of the recruitment.
Documents to be Attached to the Application:
- A professional cover letter, completed per the instructions above;
- Post-secondary transcripts, if using to meet the minimum qualifications;
- Current resume;
- Writing samples: one (1) sample of a letter or memo and one (1) sample of a report, decision or equivalent that you have authored;
- Copies of your most recent three (3) evaluations (or you can bring to the interview, if selected); and
- Three (3) professional references who have had supervisory responsibility over you along with their daytime contact phone numbers (or you can bring to the interview, if selected).
If you are selected to advance to the interview phase of the recruitment process, you must provide the following at the time of the interview (if not already attached to your application):
- Copies of your most recent three (3) evaluations; and
- Three (3) professional references who have had supervisory responsibility over you along with their daytime contact phone numbers.
This position requires frequent travel to small communities in Alaska, some of which have no commercial accommodations.
For a PD currently in Classification:
**Classification Study Notice**
This Position Description is currently being reviewed by the Division of Personnel & Labor Relations, Classification Section. Depending on the outcome of the allocation, this recruitment pool may or may not be utilized to fill this vacancy.
Skills Exercise During the Interview:
Applicants that are selected for an interview will be given a skills exercise during the interview to assess their writing and/or computer skills.
If post-secondary education is required to meet the minimum qualifications, you must fill in the Education section of the application. If you have not obtained a degree, please indicate the number of units completed. Copies of transcripts are required to verify educational credentials if used to meet the minimum qualifications for a position. Transcripts must be attached at the time the application is submitted.
If using work experience in order to meet the minimum qualifications of the position and it is not already documented in your application, also provide the employer name, your job title, dates of employment, and whether full-or part-time. Applications will be reviewed to determine if the responses are supported and minimum qualifications are clearly met. If they are not, the applicant may not advance to the interview and selection phase of the recruitment.
This recruitment may be used for more than one (1) vacancy. The applicant pool acquired during this recruitment may be used for future vacancies for up to ninety (90) days after this recruitment closes. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply to each recruitment notice to ensure consideration for all vacancies.
The State of Alaska complies with Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Individuals with disabilities, who require accommodation, auxiliary aides or services, or alternative communication formats, please call 1-800-587-0430 or (907) 465-4095 in Juneau or TTY: Alaska Relay 711 or 1-800-770-8973 or correspond with the Division of Personnel & Labor Relations at: P.O. Box 110201, Juneau, AK 99811-0201. The State of Alaska is an equal opportunity employer.
- Contact Information
If you have questions regarding Workplace Alaska, the application process and/or problems being able to submit your application or attachments online, please call the Workplace Alaska hotline at 800-587-0430 (toll free) or (907) 465- 4095. If you choose to be contacted by email, please ensure your email address is correct on your application and that the spam filter will permit email from the 'govermentjobs.com' domains.
For information on allowing emails from the 'governmentjobs.com' domains, visit the Lost Password Help page located at https://www.governmentjobs.com/js_lostpswd.cfm?&topheader=alaska.
If you have specific questions regarding the position, please contact the hiring manager directly:
Hiring manager: Brenda Hewitt
Phone number: (907) 269-5939
Fax number: (907) 269-4563
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org