State of Alaska
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Licensed Practical Nurse (On-Call PCN 06-N09021)
at State of Alaska
- Job Description
This position is open to Alaska Residents only.
Please check our residency definition to determine if you qualify.
The Anchorage Pioneer Home (APH) is recruiting for a non-permanent On-Call Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) position.
This Pioneer Home is an assisted living home with 24 hour care and room for 168 elders to reside. Our goal is to create as much of a 'family home' atmosphere as possible and to reduce the institution atmosphere. Our Home includes plants and flowers and animals such as cats, dogs, fish and birds. If you are looking for a setting that allows you to truly make an impact on the quality of life for our elders and you have the required skills, we would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you as a member of our team.
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) will be used to fill in for nursing staff on leave or out sick. The successful candidate will be willing to work any shift, on weekends or holidays as needed. This position is supported by other Nursing and Direct Care staff who will actively assist as needed. This position will document observations and exceptions relevant to resident care, identify and treat appropriately acute and chronic pain, and administer medications to geriatric residents.
Eligibility for licensure to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in the State of Alaska is required.
- Work with elderly residents that experience varying rates of confusion, dementia, as well as physical limitation and will provide behavior intervention with residents when warranted.
- Provide medication administration and observation of any reactions.
- Interact with residents and families to discuss medical and other issues.
- Coordinate referrals for medical and dental care, and contact physicians on an as-needed basis.
- Participate as a team member in the development of Assisted Living Care plans for residents, assist team in communicating information and recommendations gained through interaction with residents.
- Monitor and assess residents, recognizing and utilizing planned approaches to specific behaviors.
- Recognize and act appropriately when a resident's medical condition changes. Inform medical practitioner, family, supervisor, and administrator as appropriate.
- Provide a safe environment for residents and staff members, and lower the risks of infections by utilizing the Pioneer Home's Infection Control Program.
- Maintain interpersonal relationships with supervisor, staff, families and other care providers which are respectful, positive, focused, and fosters a team atmosphere.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of practical nursing.
- Considerable knowledge of commonly used medications and their actions and side effects.
- Considerable knowledge of the needs of patients.
- Skill in the application of practical nursing techniques.
- Ability to relate and interpret medical data.
- Ability to observe and evaluate reactions and changes in the physical and mental condition of patients.
- Ability to operate assigned health care equipment.
- Ability to maintain routine operating records and to prepare periodic reports.
- Ability to develop therapeutic relationships with patients.
- Dependable and highly motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Goal oriented.
- Impeccable attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent team player abilities.
- Exceptional customer service and supervisory skills.This includes excellent relationship building skills with people of various levels.
- Ability to switch between tasks and changing priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Effective problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- A positive attitude with enthusiasm for learning.
- History of reliable attendance.
- Familiarity with the Eden Alternative.
To view the general description and example duties for this
- The Pioneer Home is an Eden Alternative facility. The selected candidate may have contact with plants and flowers, and with pets including cats, dogs, fish and birds.
- This position is in support of the Pioneer Home, which is a 24 hour facility.
- Employees of the Pioneer Home receive continual screening for tuberculosis and criminal history.
Licensed Practical Nurse position, please go to the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/Alaska/
- Minimum Qualifications
A diploma or certificate from an accredited school in practical nursing and eligibility for licensure as a practical nurse with the State of Alaska.
Special Requirements: Physical strength to lift, assist and transfer patients.
For some positions in this job class a background investigation including fingerprinting is required.
- Additional Required Information
At time of interview applicant must provide:
- Three (3) professional employer references with current contact information.
- A current copy of your State of Alaska Practical Nurse license.
- Last two performance evaluations, if available.
- Submit to fingerprinting and criminal background check screening.
- Provide a copy of current CPR and First Aid certificate(s), if available.
- Provide current evidence to the administrator to be free from active pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) with test results dated within the last 12 months prior to start date.
Please read the below information carefully. This applies to your application submission.
To verify education being used to meet the required minimum qualifications, you must fill in the Education section of the application. If you have not obtained a degree, please indicate the number of units completed. Copies of transcripts are required to verify educational credentials being used to meet the minimum qualifications for a position and are required with each application. (Unofficial are okay, please ensure that the institution/URL name is listed on the transcripts). Transcripts can be attached at the time of application, provided at the time of interview, or if/when requested prior to scheduling an interview.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements, if applicable. If utilizing this education you must show that the education credentials have been submitted to a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials and that such education has been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education programs; or an accredited U.S. state university reports the other institution as one whose transcript is given full value, or full value is given in subject areas applicable to the curricula at the state university. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Omission of required documentation listed will result in an incomplete application and you will not receive further consideration.
When using work experience not already documented in your application, please provide the employer name, your job title, dates of employment, and whether full-or part-time. Applications will be reviewed to determine if the responses are supported and minimum qualifications are clearly met. Work experience needed to meet the minimum qualifications must be documented in the application. If the application does not support minimum qualifications, the applicant may not advance to the interview and selection phase of the recruitment. A resume will not be used to determine that minimum qualifications have been met for the position in which you are applying.
If you are currently or previously been appointed to a flexibly staffed position please ensure your work experience within a flexibly staffed position indicates the actual dates employed at each level. Ensure your time and any subsequent flex promotion(s) are documented as a separate position. This is required as there are minimum qualifications that require experience at a particular level in which the lower level may not be considered. If this information is not accurately reflected in your application this may cause the processing of your application for consideration to be delayed.
NOTE: Attaching a resume or curriculum vitae is not an alternative to filling out the application in its entirety. Noting "see resume or CV" or any similar response on any portion of your application may lead to a determination your application is incomplete and removal from consideration for this job posting.
The State of Alaska does not provide VISA Employer sponsorships.
This position is open to Alaska Residents only. Please check our residency definition to determine if you qualify.
This recruitment may be used for more than one (1) vacancy. The applicant pool acquired during this recruitment may be used for future vacancies for up to ninety (90) days after this recruitment closes. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply to each recruitment notice to ensure consideration for all vacancies.
You can ONLY apply for this position through the Workplace Alaska website or via hardcopy application. If you accessed this recruitment bulletin through a job search portal such as ALEXsys or any other database, you MUST use a Workplace Alaska online or hardcopy application to successfully apply. Instructions on how to apply with Workplace Alaska may be found on the Workplace Alaska "How to Apply" webpage, found here: http://doa.alaska.gov/dop/workplace/help/
Questions regarding the application process can be directed to the Workplace Alaska hotline at 800-587-0430 (toll free) or (907) 465- 4095. If you choose to be contacted by email, please ensure your email address is correct on your application and that the spam filter will permit email from the 'govermentjobs.com' domains. For information on allowing emails from the 'governmentjobs.com' domains, visit the Lost Password Help page located at https://www.governmentjobs.com/OnlineApplication/User/ResetPassword.
The State of Alaska complies with Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).Individuals with disabilities, who require accommodation, auxiliary aides or services, or alternative communication formats, please call 1-800-587-4095 in Juneau or TTY: Alaska Relay 711 or 1-800-770-8973 or correspond with the Division of Personnel & Labor Relations at: P. O. Box 110201, Juneau, AK 99811-0201. The State of Alaska is an equal opportunity employer.
- Contact Information
WORKPLACE ALASKA APPLICATION QUESTIONS & ASSISTANCE
Questions regarding application submission or system operation errors should be directed to the Workplace Alaska hotline at 1-800-587-0430 (toll free) or (907) 465-4095 if you are located in the Juneau area. Requests for information may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For applicant password assistance please visit:
For specific information in reference to the position please contact the hiring manager at:
Name: Milagros (Mila) Rescober, Nurse IV
Phone: (907) 343-7245
Fax: (907) 343-7272