Providence Health & Services
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Providence Health & Services
Providence is calling a Medical Technologist at Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center in Kodiak, Alaska. This is a full time position - variable shift.
Are you interested in working in a unique and beautiful rural location? Do you will have a passion for rural medicine, will value collaboration with multi-specialty groups within one hospital? This is an opportunity to challenge yourself in a rewarding leadership role. Competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and relocation bonus are available. Join the leadership team at Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center, and enjoy the many benefits of working within a supportive and close-knit community. Experience all that the beautiful and scenic state of Alaska has to offer from the welcoming community of Kodiak!
As the only hospital on Kodiak Island, Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center is the sole provider of acute and emergency care. Accredited by The Joint Commission and designated as a Level IV trauma center by the State of Alaska, this 25-bed Critical Access Hospital plays an indispensable role in the lives of nearly 14,000 residents in the city of Kodiak, the Coast Guard base and neighboring villages. The hospital receives high marks from patients, physicians and caregivers alike.
Alaska offers financial, cultural and recreational opportunities beyond compare. Alaska has no state income tax! Kodiak is famous for its fishing, huge Kodiak brown bears and lush mountains. But Kodiak Islanders also pride themselves on lesser known features: excellent public and private schools, organized youth sports, several churches, museums, and dozens of community events. The island's tight-knit population of 14,000 residents is surprisingly diverse, with significant groups of Alaska Natives, Asians, Hispanics and Pacific Islanders. And nature is never far away in Kodiak; within minutes of the hospital you can be beachcombing, jogging through a magnificent forest, or fighting a feisty salmon on a pristine stream.
The Medical Technologist (MT) will conduct clinical diagnostic testing on inpatients, outpatients, and residents of Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center.
In this position you will:
- Conduct quality control procedures on patient tests and laboratory equipment to ensure that accurate diagnostic testing is performed.
- Report patient data to the patient's medical record and/or medical staff if the results warrant direct contact.
- Perform high complexity tests that are authorized by the Director and require a degree of skill commensurate with the incumbents' education, training, experience, and technical abilities.
- Follow the Laboratory procedures for specimen collection, (i.e. phlebotomy, etc.) handling and processing, test analyses, reporting, and maintaining records of patient test results.
- Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency-testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Adhere to the laboratory's total quality management (TQM) policies, document all TQM activities, instrument and procedural calibrations, and maintenance performed.
- Follow the Laboratory's established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the Laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Completion of education equivalent to national certification as Medical Technologist from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, MT (ASCP) or Clinical Laboratory Scientist (NCA)
- National certification as Medical Technologist from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, MT (ASCP) or as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) from ASCP
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 90 days of hire
- Effective skills in management and leadership
- Effective verbal and written skills
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- 2 years of work experience in a clinical laboratory
About Kodiak Island Medical Center
Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center (PKIMC) provides comprehensive health care to residents and visitors of Kodiak Island. This critical access hospital features 25 acute care beds, including four birthing suites, one OB triage room, and two ICU beds. In addition, the Elder House, PKIMC's long term care facility, has 22 beds.
PKIMC provides an extensive array of inpatient and outpatient services, including emergency department, surgery, laboratory services, maternity, general medicine, physical therapy, occupational therapy, respiratory therapy, sleep studies, specialty clinics, diagnostic imaging services and pharmacy and is staffed by a mix of primary care physicians, surgeons and specialists who provide family practice, internal medicine, obstetrics, radiology and general practice.
For more information regarding Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center, please click on the following link: http://providence-kodiakhealthcare.jobs/