OBEC Consulting Engineers
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Geotechnical Engineer 4
at OBEC Consulting Engineers
The Geotechnical Engineer IV is responsible for independently leading geotechnical design and analysis on a variety of engineering projects. The position requires a licensed engineer in the State of Alaska or the ability to obtain a license within 6 months of hire. The person in this position must have a strong knowledge of geotechnical engineering, frozen ground engineering, soil mechanics, and foundation engineering. The person in this position is also expected to demonstrate geotechnical engineering expertise and provide leadership and guidance to less experienced team members as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently complete complex geotechnical engineering projects
- Write technical reports, specifications, and other correspondence to internal and external clients
- Develop and perform geotechnical exploration and laboratory testing programs
- Perform geotechnical engineering analyses and provide engineering judgement
- Work collaboratively within multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Provide design oversight and mentorship to less experienced team members
- Possess exceptional technical and communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Work efficiently to meet deadlines and complete projects within a given amount of time
- Follow DOWL's safety program and maintain a safe work environment in the office and field
- Follow DOWL's Operational Excellence program to maintain a high standard for deliverables and engineering calculations
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
A successful candidate must satisfactorily perform essential duties. The requirements listed below represent required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Education and/or Experience
Minimum baccalaureate degree from an ABET-accredited Civil or Geological engineering program. A master’s degree in geotechnical engineering is preferred. At least 8 years prior experience in geotechnical engineering performing the described essential duties is preferred.
Must have a depth of foundation experience with a broad range of buildings and other structures and with earthworks and earthwork construction.
Must have a strong background in strength and consolidation properties of soils and laboratory measurement of these properties.
Must have experience in frozen soils, permafrost, and arctic engineering
Must have experience in planning geotechnical field explorations, soil sampling, logging test borings and directing drilling operations.
Must have an understanding of surficial geology and depositional processes sufficient to interpret test boring data and to prepare, and explain, geologic cross sections between test borings. Additional depth of training and experience in geology, geophysics and rock mechanics is desirable.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must be a Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Alaska or be able to obtain your license within six months of hire. An established NCEES Record is preferred without an Alaska PE license.
Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Intermediate level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suites (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Sound geotechnical engineering judgement with a solid grasp of soil mechanics, characterizing engineering soil properties, and frozen ground engineering
- Accurately complete engineering calculations for shallow and deep foundations, liquefaction triggering, bearing and settlement analysis, and slope stability
- Experience modeling slope stability using limited equilibrium and/or finite element analysis
- Familiarity with design codes and specifications such as IBC, ASCE 7, or AASHTO LRFD Bridge design
- Ability to define problems, develop effective and meaningful investigations, analyze data, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to determine appropriate scopes of work and fees for geotechnical services
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and in writing and to effectively present information to clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, and the public
- Ability to write geotechnical reports and proposals
- Experience using engineering software such as gINT, Geostudio (Slope /W, Sigma /W), Rocscience products (Slide, RS2, Settle3D), APILE, LPILE, Allpile, or similar products
- The ability to travel and work in remote areas under adverse conditions is required. Fieldwork in remote locations of Alaska, during all seasons, is required.
- Ability to prioritize special projects and daily workload to ensure that all work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs frequently. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The employee is often required to drive long distances and fly in small fixed wing and rotary aircraft.
Must have the ability to work at remotes sites. Ability to walk and hike through rough terrain, snow and ice and perform the physically demanding work associated with site reconnaissance and subsurface exploration.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high when working around drill rigs. Fieldwork is performed in all extremes of weather.
DOWL is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Minority, female, veteran, and disabled candidates are encouraged to apply.
Our company THRIVES ON DIFFERENCES! All we ask is that our employees and applicants continue to learn how to work better together. We believe in adjustment first, accommodation always. We believe that people come to work every day with positive intent.