OBEC Consulting Engineers
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Civil and Construction Engineer 2
at OBEC Consulting Engineers
Responsible for a wide range of office and field engineering duties for transportation engineering projects. This dynamic, fast paced position would involve different responsibilities during two distinct periods of the year. Regardless of the time of year, this position consistently exercises discretion and independent judgment in all work activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
During the construction season:
Travel away from home for extended periods of time to work on field assignments.
Responsible for a wide range of duties related to the construction phase of a project. Including, but not limited to:
- construction inspection or observation;
- verification of compliance with contract documents;
- field/client representative;
- tracking and monitoring of Contractor pay quantities;
- preparation of Contractor pay requests;
- responsible for on-site project coordination and management of resources;
- writing of requests for information, change orders and other field/construction administrative duties as needed; and
- key in the success of the project.
During the winter, non-construction months:
- perform engineering calculations in support of civil engineering design projects;
- project management;
- Prepare QBS proposals and interview presentations
- coordinate CAD drafting requirements in support of civil engineering design projects;
- coordinate with government agencies, client staff, and other professionals to obtain design information and approvals;
- prepare and route project related correspondence and record keeping’
- conduct periodic site visits to construction sites to monitor quality and progress of the work;
- write and edit construction specifications and engineering reports;
- tabulate bid items and calculate construction bid quantities from plans and specifications;
- estimate construction costs;
- consistently exercise discretion and judgment in all work tasks; and
- Other engineering related duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Minimum Baccalaureate degree from an ABET-accredited civil engineering program or the requisite years of progressive engineering experience and educational study, as prescribed by the local jurisdiction, to be eligible to take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam and a minimum of 3 to 6 years’ experience in construction or civil engineering field and a strong background in construction is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering exam and Certification as an E.I./EIT is required. Licensure as a Professional Engineer, or ability to become licensed, is desired.
Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) Worksite Traffic Supervisor, or equivalent, certification or ability to become certified is highly desirable.
Basic First Aid, Automated External Defibrillator (AED) and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification, or ability to become certified, is desirable.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical analysis, and fundamentals of geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- To be successful at this position an individual must have the following core competencies:
- strong communicator;
- strong understanding of Owner/Consultant/Contractor communication;
- strong problem solver;
- ability to manage budgets;
- ability to work under pressure and multi-task;
- ability to manage several deadlines;
- familiarity and technical competence in design and construction practices; and
- ability to follow directions and work with others.
- Due to the field nature of this position, those who hold this position must have the ability to travel away from their home location for extended periods of time to work on field assignments.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to clients, co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Office software.
- Civil3D knowledge and experience is highly desirable.
Physical Demands. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, to moderately-loud due to the proximity to the construction site and related equipment.