Cook Inlet Tribal Council, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Cook Inlet Tribal Council, inc.
- Job ID
- # Positions
- Administration (ADMIN)
- Full-Time, Regular
COOK INLET TRIBAL COUNCIL, INC.
Chief Legal Officer
Under the direction of the CITC in-house counsel, the Paralegal is responsible for preparing, filing and maintaining appropriate corporate documents with local, State and federal regulations; drafting initial contracts, confidentiality agreements and various other agreements, memoranda, leases and other legal documents for review and approval; reviewing purchase and sale agreements and related documents; assisting with drafting amended and restated articles and bylaws, corporate resolutions and filing with appropriate agencies; providing administrative support by assisting TANF Fraud Investigators with documentation as well as conducting legal research and analysis, maintaining files and preparing documents for filing with court. The Paralegal assists with administration and monitoring of policies and procedures and certain corporate-wide legal compliance programs contracts review, and supports the corporate risk management function.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for providing legal and factual research, preparing basic legal documents and forms, and monitoring developing legal problems or issues at the direction and under the supervision of in-house counsel, and providing technical and administrative support to in-house counsel.
- Assist with background checks for employees, volunteers, contractors and participants, and draft affidavits and other court documents as necessary, working in coordination with CITC human resources and program directors. Prepare and submit background check variance requests.
- Assists with procurement and maintenance of all insurance for CITC, with traditional risk management functions, and with developing and implementing risk management procedures, including recommendations to management and operations personnel concerning coverage needs and special insurance requirements. Works closely with commercial broker regarding procurement and maintenance of CITC commercial insurance coverages. Works with program directors and other CITC staff regarding compliance with processes and policies associated with authorized, insured drivers.
- Responsible for review of, coordination and resolution of incidents, and client and employee grievances, in coordination with programs, security, and in-house counsel.
- File and monitor Workers’ Compensation claims and OSHA reporting.
- Work with program managers, directors, in-house counsel and contracts officer, including initial drafting of and subsequent compliance with contracts, agreements and other agency-related documents.
- Assist with internal and external audits as needed, including workers compensation, regulatory, and accounting.
- Review incoming subpoenas and orders for compliance and work with programs and departments regarding records, including production and redaction of corporate, employee and participant records.
- Assist with trial preparation for CITC witnesses in CINA and other litigation.
- Responsible for preparing, filing and updating corporate documents, processes, and policies in connection with corporate-wide legal compliance programs, legislative and lobbying compliance programs, and assisting with other procedure and policy review and implementation as needed for both CITC and affiliated non-profit and for-profit companies. Includes registration as foreign domestic corporations in other states.
- Assemble and maintain corporate minute books for subsidiaries.
- Prepare and file applications for federal employer identification number and additional relevant compliance documents.
- Monitor an d support CITC and affiliated entities regarding conflicts of interest and background searches for board members.
- Prepare and file documents and forms necessary to secure appropriate business licenses.
- Assist with defense of lawsuits against CITC and affiliated entities, preparing and filing lawsuits for collection of TANF funds, and working with outside counsel as needed.
- Perform all related duties as needed and/or assigned.
- Job Specifications:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, including electronic document management
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, to exercise discretion in decision making and to apply creative and innovative thought in problem solving
- Good research, investigative skills, and understanding of legal terminology
- Basic understanding of budgeting, financial reporting, and cost monitoring
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and analyze contracts, policies and other legal documents
- Works within company culture to support the risk management function and enable and enhance provision of services by departments
- Demonstrated ability to research, organize, and analyze technical information
- Demonstrated proficiency in insurance procurement and risk management procedures
- Computer proficiency, including report preparation and generation, and inputting information
- Five (5) years of work experience in a corporate, legal or other related environment.
- Two (2) or four (4) year college degree in the paralegal field. Year for year work experience may be substituted for degree requirement, in addition to the five (5) years of experience.
- Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of a satisfactory report from a state and federal background check.
- Regulatory, insurance, risk management and contract compliance experience.
- Human resources experience helpful
Hiring preference shall be given to eligible and qualified Alaska Native/American Indian applicants pursuant to P.L. 93-638 Indian Self Determination Act.
The information provided in this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this job. Management has sole discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.