Bering Straits Native Corporation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Bering Straits Native Corporation
Visit our website at www.beringstraits.com to apply!
Bering Straits Technical Services, a subsidiary of Bering Straits Native Corporation is currently seeking a qualified Carpenter Maintenance for Contract #W912D0-18-008/ Ft. Wainwright, AK. The Laborer, Grounds Maintenance maintains grounds of industrial, commercial or public property such as, buildings, camp and picnic grounds, parks, playgrounds, greenhouses, and athletic fields, and repairs structures and equipment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Essential Duties and Responsibilities are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed for this position, and are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Cut grass, using walking-type or riding mowers, trim hedges and edges around walks, flowerbeds, and wells, using hedge trimmers, clippers and edging tools, prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth, using shears and other hand tools, sprays lawn, shrubs, and trees with fertilizer or insecticide.
- Performs snow and ice removal operations to support the requirements of the snow removal plan.
- Performs maintenance as required on: irrigation systems (fabricate, repair and install), sidewalks, signs (to include installation of), billboards, mowers (any size, type and capacity), sweepers, blowers, landscaping, weeding, snow and ice removal (on sidewalks, bridges, and intersections. Utilizing equipment such as shovels, scrapers, spreaders, and tractor attachments), tree and shrub trimming, general cleanup (branches, leaves, and trash), and animal control.
- Assist with special event set-ups and tear-downs, and provides designated visitor (DV) routes
- Plans and implements water conservation programs with a licensed sprinkler.
- Monitors water quality and ensures compliance with all laws, regulations, and ordinances.
- Creates and oversees watering schedules with consideration to rainfall, solar radiation, wind speed, temperature, and other factors.
- Maintains and repairs fencing to include but not limited to: chain link and barbed wire.
- Salting and sanding of parking lots and sidewalks as needed.
- Assists in security measures to include barrier (cable, water, star, and jersey), cones and traffic control.
- Storm drainage cleanup and tumbleweed removal.
- Shovel and dirt work when necessary.
- Planting of trees, shrubs, flowers and other foliage.
- Drives gasoline or diesel powers tractor to: move materials, draw implements, tow trailers, pull out objects embedded in the ground, or pull cable of which to raise, lower or load heavy material or equipment.
- Adjusts tractor equipment for proper operation, lubricates and makes minor repairs such as tightening bolts, replacing washers, cotter pins, and screws.
- Plans and executes small scale landscaping operations.
- Maintains grounds and landscape of businesses and other properties, prepares and grades terrain, applies fertilizers, seeding, laying of sod, and transplants shrubs and plants.
- Cultivates shrubs, plants, and grass by using gardening implements and power-operated equipment.
- Cleans grounds using rakes, brooms, and hose; dig trenches and install drain tiles.
- Interfaces with Logistics staff on materials as needed
- Set irrigation timer controls and maintenance schedules
- Install, inspect, maintain, diagnose and repair irrigation systems.
- Document work performed and equipment
- Turns irrigation systems on and off as designated
- Repairs and replaces hoses, pipes, and numerous types of sprinkler heads and fixture res
- Replaces or repairs irrigation valves.
- Installs or repairs irrigation lines.
- Repair maintain irrigation clocks/ low voltage electrical and station valves
- Plan and design new systems.
- Install and replace back flow preventer systems
- Operate ditch witch trenchers and skidster loaders
- Winterize and recharge irrigation systems
- Ensures work orders when complete are properly filled out and returned to work management
- Supports the project Safety Plan through personal involvement in all aspects of safety, including training and attention to the adherence to safety requirements pertaining to trades or skills.
- This position has been designated as Mission Critical. Mission Critical personnel are defined as those required to meet the Installation’s safety (including inclement weather) and security needs during lockdown conditions.
- This position may be part of an emergency management/response team as required by the company to meet contract requirements.
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS - EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
Required (Minimum) Qualifications
- High school diploma
- Minimum three (3) years ‘experience work experience.
- Must have a valid, non-limited minimum Class D (or non-commercial state equivalent) State Drivers License
- Must be able to gain access to military installations
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Some computer skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with hands and knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and practices used in the field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trades involved.
- Demonstrated skill in the care and use of the tools and equipment in the trades involved.
- Experienced and trained to fasten attachments onto: graders, plows, rollers, mowers, backhoes, seeders, and disc harrows to tractors.
- Four (4) years’ prior work experience
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must maintain a constant state of mental alertness at all times. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Work Environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be borne by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment. During visits to areas of operations, may be exposed to extreme cold or hot weather conditions. Is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and loud noise.
- No supervisory responsibilities.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFYING FACTORS
As a condition of employment, may be required to pass a pre-employment drug screening, as well as have acceptable reference and background check results to obtain access to military base. Must have reliable transportation to/from work a necessity and must be able to obtain access to military installations.
Shareholder Preference. BSNC gives hiring, promotion, training and retention preference to BSNC shareholders, BSNC shareholder descendants and BSNC shareholder spouses, in that order.
Bering Straits Native Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/ AA/ Male/ Female/ Disability/ Vets employer.
We participate in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program. We are a drug free workplace.