Anchorage School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Specialist, Risk Management Claims
at Anchorage School District
Job Reference #: 5095
Categories: Management - Mid-Level (Manager, Director)
Openings as of 10/15/2019
- Specialist, Risk Management Claims JobID: 5095
- Position Type:
ACE Technical/Supervisory/Specialist, Risk Management Claims
- Date Posted:
- Closing Date:
Open Until Filled
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of experience supporting claims administration, property and liability insurance.
- Experience with the principles and practices of investigation concerning accidents and workers compensation claims.
- Knowledge of State of Alaska EDI reporting.
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures, office machines, and filing systems.
- Knowledge of ASD computer systems (IFAS, EmpCenter, Claim Pilot, and Q)
- Reviews and evaluates all work-related accident reports for completeness and clarity of data.
- Analyzes data, as needed, to ensure compliance with policy and regulatory requirements.
- Handles auto - liability claims including negotiation, settlement, and subrogation.
- Interacts with various public entities such as the Municipality of Anchorage, local businesses and medical providers, legal counsel and the general public.
- Processes bill payments and directs phone calls, faxes, and mail within the department..
- Provides support to the Senior Director of Risk Management in general liability matters and insurance renewal process.
- Prepares and organized all claims related forms, records and documentation, to include statistical analyses and reports.
- Provides support to Claims Adjusters, as needed.
- Work demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Outlook, Word and Excel
- Establishes and maintains productive working relationships with all levels of management, supervision, and other Anchorage School District personnel, communicating effectively in verbal and written form.
- Performs work with independent judgment, speed, and accuracy, including financial and statistical reports.
- Interprets, and communicates rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
Bargaining Unit: ACE
Work Year: 240 days per year, 12 contract payments
Work Day: 8 hours per day
FTE: Full time, 1.0 FTE
Salary: ACE 4, $44,580 - $56,894
The Claims Specialist role assists and supports the claims staff in the set-up administration, management of claims, including workers’ compensation, general and auto liability. This position is also responsible for maintaining the department budget. This position requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills. This position has a retirement system association with the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS).
The following are preferred:
Essential Job Functions
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking, and hearing. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to communicate by oral and written means in an appropriate business manner and have cognitive skills to understand instructions, readily recall facts and details, handle conflict, and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with qualified physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, coworkers, and the public. Employees must also have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check.
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.