Anchorage School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
OPEN RECRUITMENT: Substitute Bus Driver
at Anchorage School District
Openings as of 10/15/2019
- OPEN RECRUITMENT: Substitute Bus Driver JobID: 3579
- Position Type:
Bus/Transportation/Substitute Bus Driver
- Date Posted:
- Date Available:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be 21 years of age and meet all minimum standards for school bus drivers as set forth in the Department of Public Safety Regulations.
- Must possess a valid Alaska motor vehicle operator’s permit with school bus and passenger endorsements.
- Must be capable of interpreting, conveying, and following oral and written instructions and accomplishing written reports.
- Must possess a good driving record and be knowledgeable of safe and defensive driving practices.
- Previous experience with large displacement vehicles.
- Knowledge of Alaska state laws and regulations pertaining to school bus operation.
- Ability to operate large buses safely under extremely hazardous weather and road conditions.
- Ability to work with children of all ages.
- Ability to convey instructions and explanations effectively.
- Ability to maintain order under difficult circumstances.
- Ability and desire to promote and maintain good public relations.
- Operates passenger busses over a designated route according to an established time schedule.
- Stops at designated points to pick up or discharge students.
- Transports students on special activity events and field trips.
- Maintains order on the bus and enforces rules.
- Completes student conduct reports and cites students for disciplinary action in case of extreme or repeated unruliness. Reports and discusses serious disciplinary and unsafe acts of students with principal.
- Assists handicapped students on and off the bus.
- Learns the geographical location of fire and emergency aid stations and follows designated emergency first aid procedures when needed.
- Checks vehicle for proper maintenance and safety.
- Files accident reports when necessary.
- Keeps trip records and conducts passenger counts.
- Maintains bus in clean and orderly condition.
- Operates two-way radio to communicate with other busses and central dispatch station.
- Reports equipment malfunction.
Bargaining Unit: TEMPORARY
Work Year: Temporary position
Work Day: Hours vary
FTE: Temporary position
Salary: $19.78 per hour
The Substitute Bus Driver operates a passenger bus to transport students along a designated route.
The following are required:
The following are preferred:
Essential Job Functions
The Anchorage School District requires that applicants who are given a conditional offer of initial employment for this position must successfully pass a post offer/pre-employment physical capacities assessment before they can be placed into the position. To access the requirements for the physical capacities assessment for this position, click here: .
Additionally, the employee must be able to communicate by oral and written means in an appropriate business manner and have cognitive skills to understand instructions, readily recall facts and details, handle conflict, and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with qualified physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, coworkers, and the public. Employees must also have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check.
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.