Anchorage School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Anchorage School District
Openings as of 7/19/2019
Nurse: Registered Nurse
- Nurse: K-8 JobID: 4336
- Position Type:
Nurse: Registered Nurse
- Date Posted:
- Date Available:
8/15/19 Bargaining Unit: AEA
- A bachelor’s of science degree in nursing.
- By start date, a valid Alaska type C special services certificate with an endorsement in nursing or school nurse.
- A state of Alaska registered nurse license certification or a state of AK temporary nursing license and must pass the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) within 120 days of hire and receive a permanent nursing license certification; current BLS card.
- Two years of nursing experience, assessment, and referral skills.
- Supports student learning, promotes health and wellness for an entire school.
- Actively assists in identifying students with disabilities and participates on multidisciplinary educational teams.
- Communicates regularly with parents by means of newsletters, notes, phone calls, conferences, etc.
- Understands how students learn and develop, and applies that knowledge in their practice.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior to achieve an effective atmosphere.
- Conducts school medical screenings
- Coordinates medical plans for school sponsored trips.
- Provides nursing services including:
- Interprets health history and develops appropriate care plan
- Facilitates, monitors, and assesses student health
- immunization status review
- diabetes and seizure management
- health counseling
- linkage with community providers
- health promotion
- injury and disease prevention, intervention and education
- Treats students with respect for their individual and cultural characteristics.
- Has the ability to use current technology to enhance their efficiency and effectiveness.
- Creates a nursing environment that is conducive to the practice.
- Works as a partner with parents, families, and the community.
Work Year: 182 days per year
This job posting is for open recruitment of school nurses and the school work location will be determined at the time of hire.
This position requires a valid Alaska type C special services certificate. Salary is based upon the AEA negotiated pay scale which can be found online at . Positions which are .50 to 1.0 FTE are in the Alaska Teachers' Retirement System (TRS), positions which are .40 to .49 FTE are in the Alaska Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS). Positions which are .39 FTE or less are not eligible for participation in either Alaska retirement system.
This position reports to and is evaluated by the principal with nursing practice input by the director of Healthcare Services. This position provides support to the instructional process by serving as a nurse with specific responsibility for identifying, evaluating and providing health services for students. A school nurse collects and reviews information on the health and developmental status of students in a systematic and continuous manner; develops and maintains a nursing care plan with specific goals and interventions that are unique to individual student needs; and administers medications, treatments, and procedures as directed by the student’s physician and Anchorage School District policy. The nurse collaborates with teachers, school staff, and administrators; and responds to a wide range of inquiries from students’ parents/guardians regarding student health and wellness. The nurse may provide clinical supervision to both licensed and unlicensed personnel.
The following are required:
The following is preferred:
Essential Job Functions
Physical /Mental Demands
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to understand vague and implicit instructions, be able to readily recall facts and details, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with a qualified physical or mental disability.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District (ASD) employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This also includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, co-workers, and the public; as well as have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check in addition to the background check conducted through the certification process with the Alaska State Department of Education and Early Development (DEED).
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an equal employment opportunity employer.