Anchorage School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Library/Media Assistant, Secondary
at Anchorage School District
Openings as of 10/15/2019
- Library/Media Assistant, Secondary JobID: 5004
- Position Type:
Classroom Support/Library/Media Assistant, Secondary
- Date Posted:
CENTRAL MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Closing Date:
Open until filled
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and inspire confidence and cooperation of staff, parents, students, administrators, and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional relationship with staff, parents, students, administrators, and the public.
- Knowledge of first aid.
- Courses in library science.
- Knowledge of clerical practices, procedures, office machines, and filing systems.
- Ability to operate computers, both Macintosh and Windows.
- Knowledge of library related computer applications such as SIRSI, Workflows, Webcat, and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to type accurately at an acceptable rate of speed.
- Ability to perform clerical tasks involving independent judgment with accuracy and speed.
- Ability to learn, interpret and communicate rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains a neat and attractive media center, ensuring that instructional materials and services are available and accessible.
- Assists library patrons with reference inquiries and access to information.
- Maintains inventory of media center collection including books, textbooks, computer software, non-book materials, serials, and audio-visual equipment.
- Operates the library network.
- Shelves books and materials. Maintains current shelf lists to facilitate accession of new materials and deletion of obsolete materials.
- Operates various office machines, computers, and instructional technology equipment.
- Compiles and types information, correspondence, bulletins, and reports related to the library from verbal instruction and rough drafts.
- Monitors scheduling, operation, condition, storage, and security of audio-visual equipment.
- Prepares orders for books, periodicals, and supplies.
- Monitors student aides in the operation of equipment, distribution of materials, and general functions of the library.
Bargaining Unit: TOTEM
Work Year: 9 months
Work Day: 3.5 hours per day
FTE: part time, .4375 FTE
Salary: T-9, $14.42 - $15.54 Per Hour, DOE
The Library Media Assistant assists school library patrons, shelves, and maintains inventory of the library collection. The position has a retirement association with the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS).
The following are required:
The following are preferred:
Essential Job Functions
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking, and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to communicate by oral and written means in an appropriate business manner and have cognitive skills to understand instructions, readily recall facts and details, handle conflict, and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with qualified physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, coworkers, and the public. Employees must also have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check.
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.