Anchorage School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
English Language Learners Tutor
at Anchorage School District
Openings as of 10/15/2019
Classroom Support: Tutors
- English Language Learners Tutor JobID: 4613
- Position Type:
Classroom Support: Tutors/English Language Learners Tutor
- Date Posted:
CHUGIAK HIGH SCHOOL
- Closing Date:
Open Until Filled
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of 48 college semester credits from a regionally accredited institution, or a passing score of 459 or better on the ETS Paraprofessional Assessment, within 45 calendar days of hire date.
- Excellent organizational and record keeping skills.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and inspire confidence and cooperation of staff, parents, students, administrators, and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional relationship with staff, parents, students, administrators, and the public.
- Knowledge of first aid.
- College coursework in education.
- Experience and training in working with children in an instructional environment, preferably within a bilingual setting.
- Fluency in English and at least one other language.
- Training and experience in English as a Second Language (ESL) programs.
- Ability to effectively present information to staff, parents, students, administrators, and the public.
- Ability to maintain effective communication with students, parents, and members of the community.
- Provides tutorial sessions independently and/or in collaboration with the classroom teacher, according to the individual needs and levels of academic achievement.
- Develops individual tutorial plans for students as necessary.
- Completes English Language Learners Program identification and assessment reports.
- Maintains attendance and program records for students referred to the English Language Learners Program.
- Collaborates with the classroom teacher in determining the needs of referred students, particularly ESL needs. Develops a plan to meet applicable goals for the students and establishes learning objectives for each referred student.
- Schedules and/or attends conferences.
- Attends scheduled in-service training programs.
- Assists students with materials which will assist with achieving English language proficiency.
- Acts as a liaison or interpreter/translator between the school, teachers, students, and parents when a language other than English is necessary.
- Introduces pertinent information to LEP students and classroom teachers about multicultural awareness issues.
Bargaining Unit: TOTEM
Work Year: 9 months
Work Day: 7 hours per day
FTE: Full time, .8750 FTE
Salary: T-11, $15.33 - $16.45 Per Hour, DOE
Worksite: This position will service Chugiak High School, Gruening Middle School, and Mirror Lake Middle School
The English Language Learners Tutor assists in teaching English skills to non-English speaking and Limited English Proficient (LEP) students on an individual or small group basis in order to improve their understanding of concepts being taught in the regular classroom. The position has a retirement association with the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS).
The following are required:
The following are preferred:
Essential Job Functions
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking, and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to communicate by oral and written means in an appropriate business manner and have cognitive skills to understand instructions, readily recall facts and details, handle conflict, and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with qualified physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, coworkers, and the public. Employees must also have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check.
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.